The European Chess Union 1st Quarter Board meeting for 2020, took place on 31st January and 1st February in Larnaca, Cyprus. The Cyprus Chess Federation hosted the Board under excellent conditions and a great hospitality.
Mr. Andreas Christoforou, President of the Committee of Youth and Sports of the Municipality of Larnaca welcomed the Board members in Larnaca. The first session of the ECU Board was attended by the FIDE General Director Mr. Emil Sutovsky and FIDE Chairman of Chess in Education Commission Mr. Smbat Lputian when the matters of mutual interest as the new FIDE World Championship Cycle, new proposed FIDE Charter and CIS programs were discussed.
Main information and decisions:
- ECU celebrates in 2020 the 35th anniversary from its establishment in Graz, Austria.
A special designed anniversary logo will be used in all 2020 European Championships.
The ECU Anniversary General Assembly 2020 combined with the European Golden Pawn Award Ceremony will be hosted in the beginning of December in Monaco.
Anniversary events will take place throughout the year and will be announced shortly.
- ECU Board decided to make a statement about the FIDE Charter as was included in the agenda of the FIDE Extraordinary Assembly in Abu-Dhabi.
Finances – Sponsorship
- The Board unanimously approved the closing of the year 2019 noticing that the ECU income have reached the 920,000 euros a significant increase from 220,000 euros in 2014.
- The Chess Evolution sponsorship to ECU in the value of 75,000 euros will be extended to 2020.
- The Board discussed the projects have been submitted to the FIDE Development fund for the year 2020 and set the priorities according the contract has been signed with FIDE in 2019. The program will be finalized by the conclusion of upcoming FIDE Congress.
- ECU Board was informed that the new qualification system for FIDE World Cup 2021 maintains 47 spots for the European Championships 2020 and 2021 and decided to uphold 40 qualification spots for the best 40 European National Federations through the Olympiad 2020 standings.
- ECU Board was informed that the new qualification system for FIDE Women’s World Cup 2022 will provide about 20 spots for the European Women Championships 2020, 2021 and 2022 due to the 3-years qualification cycle set by FIDE. ECU decided to uphold 10 qualification spots for the best 10 European National Federations through the Women’s Olympiad 2020 standings and redirect more 10 qualification spots for the European Championships. Each European Women’s Championship from 2020 to 2022 will award 10 qualification spots for Women’s World Cup 2022 (in total 30).
- ECU will support the organization of European Small Nations Championship 2020 which will take place in Monaco from 8th to 16th of November 2020.
- Further regulations for the post-evaluation of the European Championships will be adopted by proposal of the ECU Board to the ECU General Assembly 2020.
The farewell dinner was hosted by the President of the Cyprus Chess Federation, Mr Christoforos Tornaritis in his Lounge Bar-Restaurant in Nicosia.
Special thanks to Mr Paris Klerides, Secretary General of the Cyprus Chess Federation for the Board hospitality.
ECU Secretary General