The European Chess Union 2nd Board meeting for 2019, took place on the 1st of June in Mamaia, Romania.
The main areas under discussion and decisions made were the following:
Funding – Sponsorship
- ECU Board discussed proposals for partnership in sponsorships programs. A further announcement will be made in due time.
- The program of the FIDE development fund was evaluated, and further actions were approved among them social and innovative projects.
- In the frame of the program, the European Chess Union delivered 200 e-boards, pieces and clocks from FIDE that will be used for its championships.
- An ECU Presentation for Sponsors will take place in Stockholm, Sweden in September 2019.
- ECU Board has decided to establish the annual award ceremony – “European Golden Pawn” – that will be held every year on the last Saturday of November in Monaco (Monte-Carlo). More details about the project will be announced.
- The ECU Board was informed about the bids received for the 2021 Championships by the deadline of the 31st of May 2019. The valid bids will be published on the ECU website after the confirmation of the bids fees payment.
- The European Women’s Rapid and Blitz Championship 2020 was awarded to the Ukranian Chess Federation which had an option.
- The invitations for the European Team Chess Championship 2019 and European Club Cup 2019 have been published.
- The ECU Congress 2019, including the annual ECU GA, will be held from 23rd to 27th of October in Batumi, Georgia.
The Conference “Education through chess”, under the patronage of the Romanian Presidency of EU Council, took place on 2nd of June in Mamaia, Romania. CIS Projects from Romania, Turkey, Poland, Israel, Hungary, Sweden, Norway, Italy were presented and discussed.
European Chess Union, awarded Mr. Alexander Kostyev (RUS), President of International School Chess Union (ISCU) with the ECU Honorary Award for the 20 years of the Union establishment & their high contribution to the development of the #Chess in School programs and championships.