The 84th edition of the Tata Steel Chess Tournament opens tomorrow and takes place in Wijk aan Zee from 14 – 30 January 2022.
This year, the Tata Steel Chess Tournament 2022 features Masters and Challengers events, taking place in the traditional Wijk aan Zee venue, while the annual Tata Steel Chess for children will take place Online from 23rd-24th January. Amateur events will not be held due to covid19 epidemiological situation in Netherlands.
Tata Steel Masters gathers 14 top Grandmasters who will compete in a round-robin tournament with 13 rounds. The first round of the event starts on Saturday, 15th of January and the participants are:
- Magnus Carlsen (NOR,2856),
- Fabiano Caruana (USA, 2792),
- Anish Giri (NED, 2772),
- Shakhriyar Mamedyarov(AZE, 2767)
- Richard Rapport (HUN, 2763),
- Jan-Krzysztof Duda (POL, 2760),
- Sergey Karjakin (RUS, 2743),
- Vidit Santosh Gujrathi (IND, 2727),
- Daniil Dubov (RUS, 2720),
- Andrey Esipenko (RUS, 2714),
- Samuel Shankland (USA, 2708),
- Jorden van Foreest (NED, 2702),
- Nils Grandelius (SWE, 2672),
- Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa (IND, 2612).
23-year-old Jorden van Foreest (NED, 2702) will aim to defend the title of the Tata Steel Chess Champion.
The Challengers event will be played in same format with following players:
- Rinat Jumabayev (KAZ, 2631),
- Arjun Erigaisi (IND, 2629),
- Surya Ganguly (IND, 2627),
- Erwin l’Ami (NED, 2622),
- Thai Dai Van Nguyen (CZE, 2609),
- Max Warmerdam (NED, 2599),
- Jonas Buhl Bjerre (DEN, 2586),
- Daniel Dardha (BEL, 2533),
- Lucas van Foreest (NED, 2530),
- Volodar Murzin (RUS, 2519),
- Polina Shuvalova (RUS, 2516),
- Marc’Andria Maurizzi (FRA, 2496),
- Zhu Jiner (CHN, 2478), and
- Roven Vogel (GER, 2452).
The players started arriving in Wijk aan Zee yesterday during the day and gave interviews upon arrival in the official venue of the event.
The games will be broadcasted live through the Official website of the event, and the Netherlands chess federation’s Twitch channel will feature a daily news feed during all rounds from 20:00 – 20:30 CEST. IM Stefan Kuipers will highlight and discuss the highlights of each round, and fans are welcome to ask questions.
More detailed information can be found on the Official website of the event.