COMMUNIQUE OF THE ECU GENERAL ASSEMBLY 2020
The annual ECU General Assembly 2020 took place online on 19th of December with representatives and officials from 40 European Chess Federations. The meeting was interactive with video presentations and productive discussion.
FIDE President, Mr. Arkady Dvorkovich joined the ECU General Assembly and congratulated ECU for the good work organizing online activities and for the fruitful cooperation in the common FIDE-ECU projects.
A detailed video-report of activities of the past year was presented by the ECU Board. Delegates and participants had the opportunity to comment on the report and make suggestions for future activities.
Main information and decisions:
- The closing of the year 2019 was unanimously approved and the Board was discharged for the year 2019.
- The ECU Treasurer and Auditor confirmed that ECU is healthy financially, regardless of the past year’s difficulties and is prepared to face any new challenges.
- The budget for the year 2021 was unanimously approved. Due to the ongoing situation with Pandemic the ECU Board will proceed to any necessary adjustments, during the year.
- The Arbiters’ Council presented an overview of the activities of the year 2020 and future plans.
- The Educational Commission presented the report on the 2020 activities and the next steps on the running projects connected with the FIDE development fund and Erasmus+.
- The achievements of the ECU Women’s Commission were presented and included webinars online training and events like the European Women’s Cub Cup.
- The Icelandic Chess Federation that will host the European Individual Chess Championship 2021 in Reykjavik, will search the option of moving the event in May 2021.
- ECU Vice President Mr Johann Poecksteiner read the message of one of the founders and President of European Chess Union, from 1986 to 1999, Professor Kurt Jungwirth. Mr Jungwirth presented a small chronicle of ECU from its foundation till this day and congratulated all those who contributed to its successful course.
- The next ECU General Assembly is scheduled for November 2021 in Slovenia, during the European Team Chess Championship 2021.
- The next edition of European Golden Pawn announced for February 2022.
Video report of ECU 2020 activities: