1ST ECU CONGRESS CONCLUDED
The 1st ECU Congress concluded on 10th October with the official opening ceremony in St. Nikola Castle and General Assembly in Bar/Montenegro.
The opening ceremony was held with the presence of the ECU and FIDE officials, representatives of Montenegro Chess Federation, Montenegro Government institutions, European Chess Federations as well as the representatives of the media.
After the presentation of chess tradition of Montenegro and the city of Bar, all the present were addressed by the Director of Montenegro Directorate for Youth and Sport, Mr. Igor Vusurovic, Vice-President of Montenegro Olympic Committee, Mr. Ranko Jovovic, President of Montenegro Chess Federation, Mrs. Angelina Vukovic, the ECU President, Mr. Zurab Azmaiparashvili, FIDE Deputy President, Mr. George Makropulous and President of Bar Municipality, Dr. Zoran Srzenic, who officially opened the Congress.
After the opening ceremony, the ECU Annual General Assembly was held in hotel Princess in Bar, with the attendance of 42 countries.
The most important decisions of the ECU General Assembly 2015:
- The new tournament regulations were approved. The new regulations will be valid form 1st January 2016
- The changes of the statutes were approved
- The reports by the ECU Commissions were accepted.
- Kosovo was voted to become the 55th member of ECU. Any mention of Kosovo will be followed with an asterisk and the note referring to “UN Resolution 1244, without prejudice of status”.
- The budget for the year 2016 was approved. The General Assembly was informed that the income for the year 2015 is increased about 40% in comparison with previous years.
- The GA unanimously expressed its recognition, appreciation and full support to the President of Montenegro Chess Federation Mrs. Angelina Vukovic for her constant efforts to develop chess in the country, fighting in the same time against corruption in sports and chess.
- GA decided not to discharge the Board for the year 2014 because of the ongoing investigation for the period 1 January 2014 – 10 August 2014. GA decided that a letter shall be sent to the previous Treasurer Mr. Almog Burstein and to require an answer in written form to the questions related to the financial matters and his duties according to the article 49 of the ECU Statutes.
- GA unanimously confirmed that the Open Tournaments organized on 2014 in Albena and Golden Sands, Bulgaria were not the official events of the European Chess Union. None of the federations present were aware that such tournaments are related to the ECU Calendar 2014. The GA noted the absence of the representatives of Bulgarian Chess Federation to support such claim.
- With 41 votes in favour and 1 abstention, GA decided to send a letter to the Bulgarian Ministry of Sports and any other authority needed, presenting the official ECU documents related to this matter and asking all the documentation and reports that refer to alleged European Chess Union contracts, invoices and payment mandates. The letter will be sent to all related European Union authorities in Brussels as well, since the ECU is now member of the EU transparency server.
- GA unanimously decided to file a report to the US police investigation authorities for possible illegal actions by the company ECU LLC Delaware within the US territory.
- GA voted for the removal of Silvio Danailov from the position of Honorary President, with 40 agreed, 0 against, 2 abstain.
ECU General Assembly awarded the following ECU tournaments:
- European Individual Women’s Chess Championship 2016 was awarded to Mamaia, Romania.
- European Youth Chess Championship 2017 was awarded to Mamaia, Romania.
- European Club Cup & Club Cup for Women 2017 was awarded to Manavgat, Turkey.
- European School Chess Championship 2017 was awarded to Budva, Montenegro.
- European School Chess Championship 2018 was awarded to Krakow, Poland.
- European Seniors Chess Championship 2017 was awarded to Barcelona, Spain.
- European Senior Team Chess Championship 2017 was awarded to Novi Sad, Serbia.
- European Youth Team Chess Championship 201 7was awarded to Iwonicz-Zdroj, Poland.
- European Youth Rapid & Blitz Chess Championship 2017 was awarded to Budva, Montenegro.
- European Individual Rapid & Blitz Chess Championship 2017 was given as an option, till 31st January 2016, to Israel Chess Federation to organize it. European Team Rapid & Blitz Chess Championship could be organized also by the Israel Chess Federation as a test event.