ECU CIRCULAR LETTER NO.4/2017
Dear Chess Friends,
The 2nd ECU Congress took place from 1st to 5th of November 2017. A large number of participants, delegates, representatives of National federations and members of the ECU Commissions attended the various meetings. We would like to thank the Greek Chess Federation and the Organisers for an excellent organization and hosting of the meetings.
The most important information and decisions of the ECU General Assembly 2017 on 4th November 2017:
- The new composed ECU Anthem was presented and approved by the ECU GA (You can download the ECU Anthem here)
- The ECU Medal of Honor awarded to the former (1998-2010) President of the ECU, Mr. Boris Kutin.
- The ECU Board reports and accounts for 2016 were unanimously approved as also the budget for the year 2018.
- The proposals of the ECU Board for changes on the Articles 13, 14, 26, 27, 28, 33, 34 and 35 of the ECU Memorandum and Articles of Association were approved by the General Assembly with few amendments and wording corrections. In Annex 1 is the amended ECU Statutes valid from 5th November 2017.
- The new ECU Tournament regulations valid from 1st January 2018 were approved. Annex 2
- The ECU General Assembly voted unanimously to appoint Mr. Erald Dervishi (ALB) as a representative of Europe for the FIDE Electoral Committee 2018.
ECU General Assembly awarded the following championships:
- European Club Cup & European Club cup for Women 2019 awarded to Budva, Montenegro.
- European Youth Team Championship 2019 awarded to Pardubice, Czech Republic.
- European School Championship 2019 awarded to Mamaia, Romania.
- European Youth Rapid and Blitz Championships 2019 awarded to Tallinn, Estonia.
- European Women’s Championship 2019 and European Youth Chess Championship 2020 awarded to Antalya, Turkey.
The ECU Board meeting took place on 3rd of November 2017, also in Crete, Greece.
ECU Board main information and decisions:
- The ECU Board approved the budget for the year 2018, which focuses mostly on development projects.
- ECU will support the Reykjavik Open 2018-Ficher Memorial and will organize together with the Icelandic Federation the 1st European Fischer-Random Cup. The festivities are dedicated to the 75th anniversary of Bobby Fischer.
- ECU Board approved the proposal from the International School Chess Union and the Montenegro Chess Federation for the organization of the European School Chess Cup for three years as a test event.
- ECU Board approved changes in the ECU Commissions as also the 5-year plan for the organization of the School Chess Teachers Training Courses.
- The ECU Board decided to file a criminal complaint in Slovenia for criminal offences connected with opening and use of the Bank account belonging to the company ECU Delaware LCC and alleged ECU activities and invoices.
ECU Board awarded the following championships:
- European Senior Team Championship 2019 awarded to the city of Sveti Martin na Muri, Croatia.
- European Senior Championship 2019 awarded to Halkidiki, Greece
- European Youth Rapid and Blitz Championships 2019 awarded to Tallinn, Estonia
- European Amateur Championship 2019 awarded to Halkidiki, Greece
- European Individual Championship 2019, the option granted conditionally to the Israeli Chess Federation.
- European Women’s Rapid and Blitz Championship 2019, the option granted to the Monaco Chess Federation.
The invitation for the European Individual Chess Championship 2018, 16- 29 March in Batumi, Georgia is published and you can find it attached in Annex_3.
The European Senior Chess Championship 2018 will be organized in Drammen, Norway from 3rd to 13th of August.
ECU Educational Committee launched this year the School Chess Teacher (SCT) Training courses.
The invitation for the ECU affiliated competition 1st European Fischer-Random Cup on 9th March 2018 in Reykjavik, Iceland is in Annex_6
With kind regards,
ECU Secretary General